Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Z's Assorted Yayas

I was naive to think that Z will have that one perfect yaya that would take care of her until she is bigger than her yaya. Now after 7 months and going through 5 yayas, I know better.

MY YAYAS

YAYA CARMEN
Growing up I had my yaya Carmen who is the typical scary and grouchy yaya who I feared and loved at the same time. She would feed me with a clothes hanger joining us at the table which I never can recall her using it on me. She likes to fix my hair and sometimes it can hurt but I like how neatly done my braids are so I don't mind. (she taught us "tiis-ganda" at an early age) She sew the days of the week on my handkerchiefs and would pin it on my uniform. (They were so nice i never used them, they were like an accessory) And she makes the best beef-stew in the whole wide world!!! She also saved up money to watch the Michael Jackson concert in Manila. That's all I could remember of her and then after my 2nd year in Kindergarten, she left to take care of another newborn baby. I guess there are just those yayas who like to take care of babies and not rowdy kids. I forgave her after a year when she visited me on my birthday, made my favorite beef-stew, fixed my hair and brought a Red Ribbon cake... with candles! After that, years has passed and I never heard of her. I thought she might have had one of those heart attacks by avid Michael Jackson fans. At the age of maybe 8 or 10 or 12, I saw her taking care of a baby at Uni-mart. I didn't come up to greet her or anything. So maybe I haven't forgiven her then or maybe I feared that she won't be able to recognize me anymore. So I just told my mom that i saw yaya Carmen. When we went back to the spot, she wasn't there anymore, and that was the last sighting.

MALOU
Replacing yaya Carmen was Malou. Just Malou, because we didn't call her yaya. maybe because I felt I was mature enough not to have one but she acted as my yaya anyway. She came to join our household when she was 17 and left us at 32. She didn't know anything at all and I remember that she didn't know how to open a car door (whispering- I laughed at her so hard it embarrassed her). Anyway, my mom trained her really well and she even had cooking lessons with our yaya Carmen. She's an all around house help and yaya. She would wake me up to go to school and I used to kick her off. She got wiser by the day and drag me to the shower (sleeping) and open the shower on me. Sometimes she would put ice on my shirt or if all else fails, she would just shout "SER AYAW NI TEPAY GUMESENG SER!" That would spring me up from a laying down to a standing position. I loved Malou, though she wasn't able to copy yaya Carmen's beef-stew, she made the best adobo in the whole wide world! And then she left and run off with the guard. I was in high school. Thank God I didn't need another yaya then.


ZOE's YAYAS

YAYA CECEL

Yes it is really spelled like that. You can even search her on FB heheheh she has an FB account too. Looking for the best yaya for Gaby, we searched and interviewed numerous applicants and when I was 8 months pregnant, I found her. She has so much experience in taking care of newborn babies and she's so bibo and organized and a perfectionist. Just the characteristics I was looking for to take care of my baby. We had her checked for basic medical and she also presented NBI and baranggay clearance. We also called to check her previous employers whom were very happy with her service to them. And oh! We even have the same surname and birth date! So like a little kid in the bakery looking at the yummiest chocolate cake, I took her home. She fixed Gaby's nursery checking for the best spot for the crib. (not by the door, not by the window, not on the corner as the A/C would all go down to Gaby according to yaya Cecel) She took care of my food when I was still pregnant and prepared everything for Gaby's arrival. At the hospital, after I delivered my hairy daughter, she was there to take care of her and support us with our breastfeeding challenges. She was there when the life drama erupted and every one left me in my hospital room. Me, G and yaya. I cried all night as I clutched my baby not knowing what to do or where I would go. Yaya Cecel was there to console me saying "Wag ka magalala, babalik sila, at kahit kanino ka sumama, sasama ako sainyo." And true enough, in God's will, everything was alright. Yaya took care of Gaby and I during those first few months when I had to go through the Chinese tradition of post-natal "po-ge-lai". She prepared all the medicines and required food for me while also taking care of a newborn baby. I love yaya Cecel then she was diagnosed with Leukemia or I think it was just a very critical low-blood. She was unfit to work so she left us.

YAYA DIVINE
She is just a sad sad person. I would hear her whispering to Gaby "eat na" or "sleep na" in a sad sad tone. She would play with her and it looked like a silent movie. After a few days Gaby started to show signs of "sadness". She was grumpy as ever and she wasn't teething yet. Yaya Divine is also the slowest slow poke. Being raised in an impatient family, it was painful to see her drag her feet to get the lampin. I would often just over-take her to give her an idea that she is too slow. But it didn't work! She kept her slow pace and she had to go. We made an excuse that she has plans of going abroad and we're afraid she won't stay long with us. Without any reactions she just packed and left... Without even saying goodbye to Gaby. That's when all my hesitations walked out the door with her. Sad, sad, saaaad...

YAYA JOY
And then there's Yaya Joy!!! She's the tall pretty one. Well all Gaby's Yayas are kind off pretty anyway but this one is really tall and fair. She didn't know s*^!t about being a yaya. She seemed ok during the interview but when we got home she panicked when I asked her to sterilize the pump parts showing her the parts of the pump one by one. She didn't know what onesies, rompers, botties are. It's okay if I had the time to train her, but I didn't, so I was looking for someone that had more experience, someone I could consult with even. So after 2 days, she had to go.

YAYA JANET
In terms of how well she took care of Gaby, hands down, Yaya Janet was the best so far. You could rarely hear Gaby cry. She was so well educated in all things baby since she used to work with a very well-off family. She even took care of a special needs child from newborn to toddlerhood. Gaby loved her and we dis too. But there was a catch, she could sometimes be a scatter brain and that she didn't know how to come back on time when she had her days off and she kept on borrowing money from us and from our house helpers. We treated all our yay's very well and even sent out relief goods to her family during one of the bad storms. One time she had to go home because of an emergency and we couldn't reach her anymore, we couldn't wait so we looked for another yaya.

YAYA LUCILLE
Yaya Lucille had such a big and tactless mouth. She even said "child-abuse" when I wore Gaby in her baby carrier. Imagine my horror! Though she was good enough as a yaya, she liked to gossip and I didn't want Gaby to be around that kind of an environment. Another problem was that Gaby was so used to Yaya Janet that she cried alot with this new yaya. She just started getting picky about who carries her and prefers our old house helps over her new yaya. She cried non-stop when we tried to leave her with Yaya Lucille and I noticed her impatience right away. I couldn't go back to work obviously but I thought Gaby would eventually like her new yaya after a few days. But she didn't and Lucille gave up anyway. She made an excuse that she thinks she's pregnant and had to go.

Yaya Janet wanted to come back but my mother didn't approve of it. We accepted her anyway and Gaby was fine again. After a few weeks Yaya Janet had one of her new excuses to go home and never came back. We couldn't contact her for days and when we did, it was just to let her know that her stuff are all packed and she can come by anyte to pick it up.

I took care of Gaby for another few weeks. I had to bring her to the office everyday. It wasn't easy but it had to be done in order for me to catch up on work. Then I thought of contacting Yaya Cecel through FB. She was fine and well too and ready to go back to working with us. I grabbed the chance and sent her plane ticket right away!

YAYA CECEL again!
Yaya Cecel is back with us now! Although the first 3-4 days, our house felt like a wild zoo! Since Gaby was so used to mommy taking care of her 24/7, she would cry everytime I was out of sight. No not cry, scream her lungs out rather! Yaya Cecel loved Gaby so much that she was so patient and persistent. After that initiation they were finally fine.

Whew!

Yaya Cecel is okay. We like her and she would even help out in some household chores during her free time. She's so meticulous that she would reprimand our house helpers and cook! Good thing they are all nice and innocent that they allow yaya to "teach" them. I really hope they do get along fine. Fingers crossed.

I really hope we won't have to change her yaya again. It's so stressful for the baby to adjust to a new caregiver all the time!

Things to look out for in a yaya:
1. She should be physically and mentally healthy.
2. She should have enough knowledge in baby's stuff. If not, at least she is willing to learn and fast.
3. She should be pro-breastfeeding, baby-wearing and cloth diapering.
4. She should have an updated NBI and Baranggay Clearance.
4. She should be patient and cheerful.
5. She should be quick on her feet.
6. She should be willing to wash baby's clothes, clean baby's room and baby's bottles, teethers, toys, etc.
7. She should also be responsible in cooking and preparing baby's food.
8. She should listen to the parents and not impose her own ways with regards to taking care ofbthe child.
9. She should follow rules and schedules.
10. Should know how to read and sing.

Optional- should be pretty and knows how to take good pictures!

If she has all these traits then you're a lucky one! Know how to treat them well so that they will stay in your service for a long time. Good luck to us!

_____UPDATED AUGUST 1, 2013_____
So Yaya Cecel went MIA after 2 months. It was super unethical of her and I think she just used us to get a free ride to Manila. She went on her day-off and never returned. Some say she went and got married. haha. Lesson? Never ever put your trust or be dependent on your kid's yaya.

YAYA MARIS
Good thing we just hired an all around help and Gab seemed to like her. We just decided that she can assist me for a while just until we found a new yaya. After a week, i taught her everything she needed to know and she even reads books about caring for babies. She was able to work as a yaya too before and now she is the longest running yaya of Gabgab with a record of 5 months and counting.











No comments:

Post a Comment